stuff I could use help with

  • The Gathering always could use prayer and support
  • I need support for the $1,800 mission trip to Wales in August
  • Thank God that I found a cheap place to rent!
  • Thank God that I have an awesome job now!

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Reality?


So, how do we determine that what we are experiencing at this very moment is not, itself, a vision? How do we define reality from illusion? It can't be by our senses because a schizophrenic cannot tell the difference from the fiction of his mind and reality. Hallucinations are sensed just as easily as matter.

It can't be experience. How many times have we dreamed in our beds of winning the lottery and only to wake up depressed to see out empty wallets? We believed we had just had the experience of winning the lottery.

We can't even trust our minds. "I think therefore I am." This quote is often thought to be one of the most profound epistemological statements. Perhaps the ability to reason and other cognative processes prove our existence. But don't the imagined people a schizophrenic percieves seen to have the same processes? So how do we know they are not imagined or if we are even imagined?

Perhaps the ability to doubt one's existance proves their existance. Illusions don't doubt their own existance. But that leaves us alone in the world with only philosophers left. What a dull world that would be.

My friend Catherine and I were discussing this very subject yesterday over a Big Mac and a McFlurry. One of the conclusions that we came to was that, in this lifetime, we either accept that though our perception is flawed, we must accept experience and our senses as a tool to obtain truth, or we can not, end up not really sure why we opperate in this world as if we knew truth was really truth (that bus will really kill me if I walk in front of it), or we can accept nihilism and have no real reason to live (walk in front of the bus because no one really knows if it exists). So either we replace our doubts about our perception with faith or we have no real reason to want to keep living because this may not even be living.

6 comments:

mikeofearthsea said...

I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record...

"What is 'Real'?..."

-Morphius, The Matrix

;-)

Seriously, I think folks - including myself - are going to be both disappointed but mostly overjoyed when they see the eternal reality of the life they've lived in heaven...

I think folks will be surprised to see what - here on earth - may have seemed insignificant but what - in eternity - lasts forever...

=)

BeckyJoie said...

A deep but mind-stimulating subject, Josh; It's reminiscent of the old existentialism debate. I totally agree that faith is the key. One needs faith to hold on to either argument. We can't know and understand our existence as we did not create it ourselves. It can only be fathomed by the One who did create it. Until then, we can only trust that we are and that we are for a reason.

On a lighter note, Doug and I have a funny application of the quote "I think; therefore I am". When one of us disagrees with the other in a debate, instead of saying "I think not" we say "poof" and "disappear" from the argument. This always brings a chuckle. (I think not, therefore I am not.)

Good to find your blog again. I had a crash. You're in our prayers.

When Lyssie and I were praying for you the other day, the verse Psalm 119:165 came to my mind for you. I don't know if it was meant for you or someone you interact with, but I thought I'd share it with you.

Keep in touch, Josh.


--BeckyJoie here

mikeofearthsea said...

Cool prayer on sun am.

I feel like the war is also tearing apart the church. And my heart.

IZenBet said...

i think therefore i'm exisiting, and people bump into me and i feel sensations that they exisit too.

as for schizophrenia and hallucentaions and tricks the mind plays on us if we starve ourselves or are diagnosed with a mental defect. that's a can of worms i'd rather not introduce to a philisophical debate. read the book of Job for philosophy, there's neicthe , kant, hume and the gang too.

i also agree with mike that what isn't seen can be far cooler that what is here on the earth.
isn't there Bible verses on that?

:-) :>P

mikeofearthsea said...

As I mentioned on Carl's blog, "time for a new post...."

You must have been co-opted by myspace (being the conformist you are, ha, ha!) - or busy with real life.

Or practicing for tonight's concert.

;-)

Josh Rivera said...

Sorry,
Though rest assured that I have not conformed to myspace. Getting used to living on my own is taking a little longer than expected. But I will NOT CONFORM!!! :-)