stuff I could use help with

  • The Gathering always could use prayer and support
  • I need support for the $1,800 mission trip to Wales in August
  • Thank God that I found a cheap place to rent!
  • Thank God that I have an awesome job now!

Thursday, February 15, 2007

What is Truth?

My friend, John, and I were standing in a line in Starbucks. John was studying philosophy at Florida State. He also was single and had been that way for a while. As we stood in line we both noticed that the the cashier that we were slowly approaching was a beautiful, petite brunette. His mouth spread into a slick grin as he informed me of his master strategy for winning the affections of this beautiful cashier. I don't remember exactly how he put it but it had something to do with "wooing her" with his "intellect".
We finally got to the front of the line and my lanky friend puffed out his nonexistent chest and approached her.
"What could I get for you sir?"
"Well," John grinned and leaned over the counter, "how can I be sure that what you get me is really coffee?"
"Um, you could start by ordering coffee." She answered smiling. I remember being surprised and thinking that this just might work.
"What I mean is, if I order coffee, how do I know what you gave me really is coffee"
"What, you think I'm going to accidentally poison you or something?"
"No, not at all! I'm sure you're great in the kitchen!"
"Was that some kind of sexist remark?!"
"No! What I mean is how can I know that that hot is really hot?"
"You're talking about the coffee. Right?"
"Maybe. Or maybe I'm talking about you."
I couldn't help but hurt for my friend. He was dying out there. Not only was he crashing and burning, but the wreckage from the crash had blown into a million pieces and then been struck by lightning. I then watched as the cashier proceeded to pour a hot cup of decaf. on my friend's head.

There is now a pending sexual harassment law suit against my friend, who, by the way, is still single.

Relativistic Perception vs. Absolute Perspective

We may not all think about truth with the same terminology that John used but we do all think about it. How could we decide what we think about abortion, gay marriage, or even study mathematics or science without having a specific view of what truth is? The two main battling views of truth are, of course, absolute truth vs. relativistic truth.

Relativism dictates that truth is open for interpretation. [What's true for one may not be true for another due to their differing perceptions of the subject. Relativism annihilates the possibility of having the same truth for everyone (absolute truth)].

Absolutism dictates that truth is not open for interpretation. What is true will not change for the individual. Truth is truth, whether the individual chooses to acknowledge it or not. However, perception does have a role to play through the way of perspective. Perception is the way you process the object you see or truth that we are discussing. Now, the perspective from which you see this object, or from which you process this truth determines the different ways one might perceive the absolute truth. An individual may be standing in front of a guitar, another behind it, another beside it, and another on the other side of it. They all see a different part (or piece) of the whole truth. They do not contradict each other but complete each other.

In the same way four individuals may have different perspectives and see (or perceive) different sides of the absolute truth.To the child who grew up without a father, she may see God mainly as the ultimate loving, and almighty Father. A scholarly Christian may see God mainly as the ultimate and omniscient Teacher and Guide. A friendless individual may see God mainly as the most understanding and loving Jesus that was fully Man and fully God. The ex convict may see God mainly as the Savior who came and lived and died for his salvation. Yet He is all of the above to all of us. An individual's past and his environment gives an individual a context and connotation through which to see the world. This is his perspective. Yet through all of these perspectives a whole, seamless, and absolute truth is seen.

4 comments:

Naliah said...

I agree with you Josh on part one of what is truth-its pretty tough to pick up a woman while she's at work. I think alot about truth & money. I need a job to make money and without it, trouble. But I really enjoy telling the truth. I'd rather have all truth and live like Jesus then to have alot of hard cash and be rejected by the people I love because of it. I'm not sure I want to find the happy place inbetween~ either. Here's something you might find interesting: In Paraguay, South America the money is called Guarani, uno mil Guarani is 1000 Guarani which is equal to 50 cents or something like that. But the interesting part is that the people are called The Guarani! One day according to Jesus, we won't need money to be good friends. I look forwards to that day cause I know the Guarani don't really feel in their hearts that $ is nessesary. Moneys just not sexy, you know.

Unknown said...

I agree with Naliah...he speaks the Truth....don't p/up women while they are workin'.... their working! .... try 'em later
...like after work. :) I guess it depends on how you like your Coffee?!?!

Adam Gonnerman said...

The lawsuit part was a joke, right? He could possibly pursue battery charges for the hot coffee poured on him. Sounds like something out of a movie.

IZenBet said...

i know it's frusterating be single at times. but sometimes we just have to wait for a mutual attratction to happen...such as at a concert, during a class, or even while waiting in line for something. But women at work are kinda a taboo...even tho working at the nursing home i was proposed to a few times by some male residents...awkward!